NOTE: This is a one-year Post College Appointee with the possibility of extension to a maximum of two years. Eligible candidates are recent graduates within two years of the month of the Bachelor's degree at the time of the employment offer.
Selected applicants will be required to provide verification of completed degree.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOB
The Institute for Scientific Computing Research within the Computation Directorate has an opening for a Post-College Appointment (PCA) position to support the Enterprise Reporting Workbench application and other Business Intelligence applications that leverage MicroStrategy technologies.
The selected candidate will work with Computer Scientists within the Information and Communication Services Department Division (ICS) creating information technology solutions to meet business needs.
- Leverage SQL skills to write custom reports
- Use the MicroStrategy product to create BI dashboards and reports
- Gather and analyze data and information in support of scientific research
- Use technologies such as Java, Oracle database and development tools, UNIX, NT, object oriented environments, Web Services, and Web-based technologies. The application of emerging technologies coupled with advanced software engineering tools and methods (and the emphasis on continuous learning) create an environment that supports the individual and the team.
- Participate in research planning and evaluation discussions
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITLIES
- Recent BS degree in Computer Science or Management Information Systems. (within two years of application).
- Experience applying basic scientific principles to solve technical problems.
- Experience with relational database theory and SQL.
- Experience working with C++ or Java.
- Experience working in the Eclipse Integrated Development Environment.
- Demonstrated organization and prioritization skills.
- Ability to rapidly learn and apply new software technology.
- Knowledge of analysis and design methodologies.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills necessary to prepare and present reports and document results.
- Ability to work independently as well as in multidisciplinary teams.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: None required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: None.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.